分享:一段描写好朋友(best friend)之间亲密关系的温馨英语短文


Friend: calls your parents by Mr. and Mrs.

Best friend: calls your parents by their first names.

朋友:他们用先生、女士的客气字眼称呼你的父母。

最好的朋友:直接称呼你父母的名字。(注:first name是名,而非姓,通常关系亲密的人会直呼其名)

Friend: has never seen you cry.

Best friend: has always had the best shoulder to cry on.

朋友:从没见你哭过。

最好的朋友:一直都是你哭泣时最好使的那个肩膀。

Friend: never asks for anything to eat or drink.

版权声明:如无特别说明,本站所有文章均由Will的美语课(Learnenglishwithwill.com)原创。本站欢迎少量文字引用,但请注明出处。任何网站或个人,未经授权,不得抄袭、转载、盗用本站内容,违者必究。

Best friend: opens the fridge and makes herself at home.

朋友:从不问你要吃的或喝的。

最好的朋友:直接打开你家冰箱,把你家当自己家。

Friend: asks you to write down your number.

Best friend: they ask you for their number.

朋友:会请你写下你的电话号码。

最好的朋友:他们忘了自己的电话号码时,会问你要。

Friend: borrows your stuff for a few days then gives it back.

Best friend: has a closet full of your stuff.

朋友:找你借了东西,过几天就还给你。

最好的朋友:柜子里满满的全是你的东西。

Friend: only knows a few things about you.

Best friend: could write a biography on your life story.

朋友:对你所知甚少。

最好的朋友:能就你的人生经历写一本传记。

Friend: will leave you behind if that is what the crowd is doing.

Best friend: will always go with you.

朋友:如果别人都离你而去,那么他也会离你而去。

最好的朋友:永远对你不离不弃。

【分享】库克纪念乔布斯的内部邮件全文(中英对照版)

史蒂夫.乔布斯(Steve Jobs)

 

乔布斯离开我们已3年了,但他创造的传奇还在延续。苹果CEO库克上周向苹果员工发送内部邮件纪念乔布斯,正如这封邮件所说,“史蒂夫在很多方面都让这个世界变得更加美好”,让我们抽出一点时间,向这位了不起的企业家表示致敬。

Team,

Sunday will mark the third anniversary of Steve’s passing. I’m sure that many of you will be thinking of him on that day, as I know I will.

I hope you’ll take a moment to appreciate the many ways Steve made our world better. Children learn in new ways thanks to the products he dreamed up. The most creative people on earth use them to compose symphonies and pop songs, and write everything from novels to poetry to text messages. Steve’s life’s work produced the canvas on which artists now create masterpieces.

Steve’s vision extended far beyond the years he was alive, and the values on which he built Apple will always be with us. Many of the ideas and projects we’re working on today got started after he died, but his influence on them — and on all of us — is unmistakeable.

版权声明:如无特别说明,本站所有文章均由Will的美语课(Learnenglishwithwill.com)原创。本站欢迎少量文字引用,但请注明出处。任何网站或个人,未经授权,不得抄袭、转载、盗用本站内容,违者必究。

Enjoy your weekend, and thanks for helping carry Steve’s legacy into the future.

Tim

(以上邮件内容转自:appleinsider.com

附:中文翻译

各团队成员:

本周日是史蒂夫·乔布斯逝世三周年纪念日。我相信到那天你们会和我一样想念他。

史蒂夫在很多方面都让这个世界变得更加美好,我希望你们能抽出时间对此表示感激。他构思出的产品,让儿童可以用新的方式学习。全世界富有创造力的人们用这些产品创作交响曲和流行乐,编写小说、诗歌以及短信。史蒂夫倾其一生心血打造了一幅巨型画布,使得艺术家们可以在其上创造自己的杰作。

史蒂夫的梦想在他逝世后依然不断延伸,他创造的苹果公司时所信奉的价值观与我们同在。我们的很多创意、项目都是在他离去后才开始的,但他对这些创意、项目,以及我们的影响却不容置疑。

祝各位周末愉快,同时感谢你们将史蒂夫的传奇不断延续。

蒂姆

(以上中文翻译转自:新华网。内容经Will改动,以更贴近原文。)

【一句话美文】There’s no need to rush…


“There’s no need to rush. If something is meant to be, it will happen… In the right time, with the right person, for the best reason.”

版权声明:如无特别说明,本站所有文章均由Will的美语课(Learnenglishwithwill.com)原创。本站欢迎少量文字引用,但请注明出处。任何网站或个人,未经授权,不得抄袭、转载、盗用本站内容,违者必究。

不必过于心急。如果缘分早已注定,那么它一定会到来… 在对的时间,遇见那个对的人,因为一个最好的理由。

美国俚语中的third wheel是什么意思?


最近黛米·摩尔(Demi Moore)又频频上了头条,一方面是因为和艾什顿·库彻(Ashton Kutcher)的离婚官司尘埃落定,另一方面因为当了回“第3只轮子”。那第3只轮子(third wheel)是什么意思呢?

我们先看一段知名娱乐网站Examiner.com的报道标题,特别有意思:Demi Moore third wheel in headlines again: Is Mila Kunis choking on Ashton’s ex?(黛米·摩尔作为第3只轮子再上头条:米拉·库尼斯会不会被艾什顿的前妻气昏?)。以下为报道的节选:

版权声明:如无特别说明,本站所有文章均由Will的美语课(Learnenglishwithwill.com)原创。本站欢迎少量文字引用,但请注明出处。任何网站或个人,未经授权,不得抄袭、转载、盗用本站内容,违者必究。

“Mila Kunis has to be fed up by now with her constant association with Demi Moore in the headlines. Every milestone Mila has shared with Ashton Kutcher has been marred by Demi Moore popping up in the headlines with her. The birth of their first child is no different, but what could Demi possibly have to do with Ashton and Mila’s new baby?”

“因为最近总和黛米·摩尔一起上头条,米拉·库尼斯现在一定是受够了。米拉和艾什顿·库彻分享的每一个人生重大里程碑都因为黛米·摩尔也掺合进来一起上头条而惨遭破坏。即便是她(和库彻)生了第一胎这事儿也不例外,但是,黛米到底能和艾什顿和米拉的刚刚降生的小宝宝扯上什么关系呢?(背景提示:这一切都源于,黛米·摩尔近期对外表示,她已原谅前夫,并会尽力为他和米拉生的小宝宝提供帮助。)”

看到这里,大家应该差不多明白了,美语俚语中所谓的第3只轮子(third wheel),意思有些类似于中文里的:电灯泡。想象一下在自行车上再加一个轮子,是不是很多余?third wheel通常指加入二人约会(或活动)中的那个不受待见的第三个人(a third person participating in an activity with two other people who are emotionally close)。

再举个例子:I was hanging out with Johnny and his girlfriend, but I just felt like a third wheel.(我和强尼还有她的女朋友一起出去玩儿,但我觉得自己整个就是一电灯泡)

旅游出行必备的50句地道美语,轻松畅游任何国家!


50句地道美语,浓缩的全是精华。Will精心为大家整理编译,十一国庆假期出行旅游必备神器!

第一部分:机场登机(At the airport)

1.Excuse me, where is the check-in counter for Air China/American Airlines?

请问,中国国航/美国航空的办理登机手续柜台在哪里?

2.I would like to check in, please.

麻烦,我想办理登机手续。

3.Can I get a window/aisle seat, please?

能否给我安排一个靠窗/靠过道的座位?

4.Is this bag okay as carry-on? /Can I carry this bag on?

这个包可以随身带上飞机吗?(注:Carry-on在美语中指随身携带的小件行李)

5.Which gate should I board from?

我应该在几号登机口登机?

6.When is the boarding time?

什么时间开始登机?

7.Is my flight on time?

我的航班是准点起飞吗?

8.Do I need to take my laptop out of the bag?

我需要把笔记本电脑从包里拿出来吗?

9.Can I take this though security?

这个物品可以过安检吗?

10.Where is the boarding gate?

登机口在哪儿?

第二部分:在飞机上(On an airplane)

11.Excuse me, could you show me where seat 18A is?

请问,18A号座位在哪里?

12.Excuse me, you have my seat.

对不起,你坐了我的座位。

13.Do you mind changing seats with me?

麻烦能否和你换个座位呢?

14.Where is the lavatory/bathroom?

洗手间在哪儿?

15.How do I fill out this form?

请问如何填写这份表格?

版权声明:如无特别说明,本站所有文章均由Will的美语课(Learnenglishwithwill.com)原创。本站欢迎少量文字引用,但请注明出处。任何网站或个人,未经授权,不得抄袭、转载、盗用本站内容,违者必究。

16.Can I have a pillow/blanket?

能给我个靠枕/薄毯吗?

17.Can I have a pair of headphones?

能给我一副耳机吗?

18.Could I have some water/coffee/tea?

能给我些水/咖啡/茶吗?

19.Could I have some extra napkins?

能再给我些纸巾吗?

第三部分:到达酒店(Arriving at the hotel)

20.Excuse me, where can I get a Taxi/Cab?

对不起,请问哪里能打车?

21.Take me to this address, Please.

请带我去这个地址。

22.How much is the fare?

打车费多少钱?

23.Here you are. Keep the change.

这是车费,不用找了。

24.I have a reservation for Tom.

我用Tom的名字预定的房间

25.Do you have a single/twin/double room available?

请问还有单人间/双人间/双人大床房吗?

26.I would like to stay for 3 nights.

我要住3晚。

27.How much is this room per night?

每晚房价多少钱?(注:per,是每个的意思)

28.Can I have a room overlooking the river/park, please?

可以给我一个看得到河/公园的房间吗?

29.Is breakfast included in the price?

房价包含早餐吗?

30.What is the check-out time?

退房时间是几点?

第四部分:观光(Sightseeing)

31.I’d like to do some sightseeing. Could you give me some information about the tours?

我想观光,你能提供一些有关旅程的资料吗?

32.We’re only here for one day. What do you recommend that we see?

我们在这里只待一天,你建议我们游览那些地方呢?

33.Does this tour include/visit/stop at the Statue of Liberty?

这趟观光包括/参观/停留在自由女神像吗?

34.How long does it take to get to the United Nations Building?

从这里到联合国大楼需要多久?

35.Please pick me up in front of the Hilton Hotel at 3 o’clock (in 2 hours).

请3点钟(2小时后)在希尔顿酒店前开车接我。

36.I’d like to hire a guide to show me the town tomorrow.

我想雇位导游明天带我在市里转转。

37.Great! We’ll check it out.

太好了,我们想去看看。

38.Hello. What time does the museum close today?

你好!展览馆今天几点关门呢?

39.Do you know the admission fee for the Museum of Art?

你知道艺术馆的入场费是多少吗?

40.Are there any special exhibitions on right now?

目前有什么正在进行的特别展览吗?

第五部分:购物(Shopping)

41.May I take a look at the handbag right there in the second row on the second shelf?

我能看看第二个架子上第二排的那个手提包吗?

42.Can I try it on?

我能试试这件衣服吗?

43.Where are the fitting rooms?

试衣间在哪里呢?

44.I have no idea. Which one would you recommend?

我拿不定主意,你推荐哪一款呢?

45.Can you make it any cheaper?/Could you cut the price a little, please?

能再便宜点儿吗?

46.I’d like two bottles of lotion.

我想买2瓶乳液。

47.I’ll take five of those.

我买5个。

48.Where do I pay?

在哪里付款?

49.Do you accept credit cards?

我可以刷卡吗?

50.Thank you so much for your help!

非常感谢你的帮助!

error: Content is protected!